About Our Church
Following the restoration of the Catholic hierarchy, the parish of St John's began in 1855 when Fr Francis O`Neill, moving from nearby Aldenham Hall, became the resident priest in Bridgnorth. In 1856 a school/chapel was opened on 5th October, Rosary Sunday.
The present church was built in 1896 along with the school which is now the Church Hall and has served the Catholic population of the town and surrounding areas ever since.
Father Iain Griffiths has been the Parish Priest since 2005 and lives in the Presbytery adjacent to the church.
There are three Sunday Masses (Saturday vigil, Sunday 9am and 11am). Children's liturgy is during the 11am Mass. Mass takes place on weekdays, along with morning prayer.
We have a thriving parish community and events throughout the year.
The pastoral group ensure close links are kept with those who are unable to attend church by visiting the sick and elderly, day trips out and Masses of Anointing. The Social Commitee organise many events through the year, from the annual Christmas party fundraisers and joining the Diocese each year on pilgrimage to Lourdes.
The Parish hall which is located behind the church is used throughout the week for a range of groups including toddler group, knit and natter and arts. It can also be hired for private functions.
Bishop Brown, the first Bishop of Shrewsbury, prioritised education and so schools were built before churches. In order to benefit from any education grants, St John`s School was established in 1853.
The school moved to Innage Gardens in 1973,a short walk away from church.
St John's primary school caters for children aged 4 -11 and has a strong Catholic ethos, with the faith entwined into the daily curriculum. The school and church have close ties. Masses are held in the school monthly and on Holy Days and parishioners are able to attend. Children also visit the church through the year.
For more information please contact Headteacher Mrs J Buzzing on 01746 762061 or the school website at www.sjrc.co.uk